Questions About Health Care?

Next Open Enrollment in the Marketplace will be November 1 through December 15, 2017. But you can still get coverage if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. You can also update your current coverage if you have a major life event.

Life events that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period are: having a baby, adopting a child or placing a child for adoption, losing other health coverage, permanently moving outside your plan’s coverage area, gaining citizenship, or leaving incarceration.

Here are examples of losing other health insurance coverage: losing job-based coverage for any reason, losing coverage through divorce, COBRA coverage ending (but not cancelling it yourself before it expires), aging off a parent’s plan when you turn 26, and losing eligibility for MaineCare.

If you already have coverage through the Marketplace, it is important to report changes such as:

  1. Address, name, phone number, or email address
  2. Household size (marriage, death, birth, adoption)
  3. Income (new job? second job? lost job? retired?)
  4. Loss or change in health coverage (getting health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or MaineCare)
  5. Citizenship status (gain citizenship or lawful presence)
  6. Incarceration status
  7. Newly eligible for Medicare (through disability or age, i.e., turning 65)

Why should you report a life change?

  1. Your tax credit might change. It could be higher or lower and change your monthly premium and/or cost-sharing amount.
  2. You or a family member could qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.

Contact a Community Action Program Health Care Navigator at the Community Action Program below or dial 211 for the nearest location for more information on how you can get help with your enrollment.

Aroostook County Action Program (Presque Isle) at 800-432-7881

Kennebec Valley Community Action Program (Waterville) at 800-542-8227

Midcoast Community Action (Bath) at 800-221-2221

Penquis (Bangor) at 844-846-3691

The Opportunity Alliance (Portland) at 877-429-6884

Waldo County Community Action Partners (Belfast) at 800-930-7351

Western Maine Community Action (East Wilton) at 800-645-9636

Washington Hancock Community Action (Ellsworth) at 664-2424

York County Community Action Corp (Sanford) at 800-965-5762

 You can also do the following:

Can’t Find What You Need?

Sometimes you need more than an Internet search.
You need a conversation.

Certain issues are hard to navigate. You’re not alone. 211 Maine can help.

Connect with Maine specialists at 211 Maine via phone, text, or email.

You can always reach one of our trained professionals by phone, text or email.

Accessible 24-7 | all languages | completely confidential